Registering a Death
We are here to support you
You will need the following information:
- The medical certificate of cause of death (unless the coroner has issued their document directly to the registrar)
If possible, you can also take the following documents. They’re not all essential but provide much of the additional information you’ll need for the registration. Do not delay registering if you cannot find this paperwork.
- NHS card (also called the medical card)
- Birth certificate
- Driving licence
- Council tax bill
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
- If possible please take the National Insurance number of the deceased and the number of a surviving spouse or civil partner.
- Proof of address (e.g. utility bill)
When you see the registrar, they will be as helpful as they can in registering the death. They will require the following information about the deceased:
- Date and place of the death
- The address of the person
- Their full names (including the maiden name of a married woman). Any former married names or other names by which the deceased was known can also be recorded.
- Where and when they were born (the town or county is sufficient if the exact address is not known). Only the country of origin is required for people born outside the United Kingdom. The country is recorded according to its current name if this is different from how it was known at the date of birth.
- Their occupation
- Details of their wife or husband or civil partner
- Whether they had any government pension or other benefits
While it is not essential, you can also take supporting documents that show your name and address (e.g. a utility bill) but you can still register a death without them.
The registration process can take half an hour.
If you would like more information about registering a death or would like to speak to a member of staff, please don’t hesitate to call us on 01827 713240 or you can send us a message using our contact form and we will contact you as soon as we can. We are here to help and support you.
We are here to help and support you.
If you have any questions, you can call our 24-hour service on 01827 713240
Our Funeral Services
Yet again a fantastic professional and down to earth service from M G Evans & Sons. We have used them over the generations and still just as excellent as ever in tough times. An especially big thank you to Luke who leads the proceedings and gave truly fantastic service.
My family and I would like to take a moment to thank M G Evans & Sons for conducting my nan’s funeral today. Particularly Matthew, who was brilliant at his job, and very professional. The day ran smoothly and we trusted you completely to give my nan the send-off she deserves.
Thank you for your care, consideration, compassion and professionalism with the funeral arrangements. A sad day made easier to bear with your support.
Thank you so much for taking care of both my late mother and ourselves. You guided us through a very difficult time, combining professionalism and a very human touch.
Thank you most sincerely for all the help and guidance that we received throughout the funeral process. Everything went very smoothly along with the lovely contribution and beautiful flowers.
You showed us impeccable assurance and professionalism, treating our family as though we were the only ones amongst many. We feel extremely fortunate for you to preside over us.